Proven Track Record – Tom Clonan Champion for Equality and the Rights of Others
Trinity Graduate, Academic and Journalist Dr. Tom Clonan
Vote No 1 Tom Clonan – Champion for Justice & Equality – for Seanad Eireann
‘Proven Track Record – 25 Years Fighting for Justice & Equality’
Tom Clonan has been campaigning for the rights of others for over 25 years. In 1995 – Decades before the #MeToo Movement – Tom showed up to fight for the rights of his female colleagues in the Irish Armed Forces. As an Army Officer – Tom identified shockingly high levels of sexual violence against female soldiers including sexual assault and rape. Tom put everything on the line to fight systemic gender discrimination and violence against women in the Army, Navy and Air Corps. His Doctoral Thesis prompted an Independent Government Enquiry which vindicated his findings.
Tom Clonan’s campaign against gender-based discrimination and sexual violence in Ireland’s Armed Forces transformed the culture of one of Ireland’s oldest Institutions with regard to diversity, equality and dignity in the workplace. Tom is a proven champion for women’s rights – a man long before his time.
For the past twenty years – Tom Clonan has been a tireless champion for the rights of children and adults with disabilities – like his son Eoghan. Fighting for the rights of others – and succeeding – is not a campaign slogan for Tom Clonan. It is what Tom Clonan does. Championing the rights of others – is in Tom’s DNA. As a fellow Trinity Graduate – Vote Tom Clonan No. 1 for the Senate. Put him in the Senate to fight for others. Tom Clonan will work with all parties and Independents to vindicate the rights of everyone who needs healthcare and independent housing and living.
In 2020, Ireland is officially, the worst place in Western Europe to have a disability. The worst time to be on a hospital trolley. 2020 is the worst time to be Homeless. This Must End – This Must Change.
Vote for Change in the TCD Senate Panel. Vote Tom Clonan No 1 – Let’s Leave No-One Behind.
- Stefanie Preissner Podcasthttps://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/basically-with-stefanie-preissner/id1509726673?i=1000532936478 https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/basically-with-stefanie-preissner/id1509726673?i=1000532936478
- Taliban and Rights of Women and Girlshttps://www.thejournal.ie/readme/tom-clonan-analysis-what-is-happening-in-afghanistan-5524129-Aug2021/ https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/tom-clonan-analysis-what-is-happening-in-afghanistan-5524129-Aug2021/ https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/afghanistan-taliban-insurgency-5521546-Aug2021/ https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0818/1241545-afghanistan-taliban-ireland/
- Government Communications During Covidhttps://www.thejournal.ie/readme/government-communication-around-covid-19-5199916-Sep2020/
- HSE Covid ICU Guidelines and persons with disabilitiesSuccessfully Campaigning to have HSE Covid ICU Guidelines amended to protect the right to life-saving treatment for persons with disabilities https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0414/1130360-virus-disability/ https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/tom-clonan-coronavirus-5070735-Apr2020/
- Fighting for Equality in a Republic of EqualsWonderful production by MarieAnn McLoughlin Dwyer – Fighting for Equality in a Republic of Equals. – RTÉ
- Sunday with Miriam InterviewSunday with Miriam Interview – RTE Radio One – 8 Dec 2019
- Tom Clonan: ‘My whistleblower journey in the Defence Forces has ended. I am back in from the cold’Tom Clonan: ‘My whistleblower journey in the Defence Forces has ended. I am back in from the cold’ – theJournal.ie. – Nov 2019
- Whistleblower who exposed rape in Defence Forces thanked 20 years onWhistleblower who exposed rape in Defence Forces thanked 20 years onIrish Times 28/11/19
- What is the lived experience of disability in Ireland?What is the lived experience of disability in Ireland? This from Tom Clonan – The Journal – June 2019 https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/opinion-tom-clonan-disabilities-in-ireland-4692898-Jun2019/
- My latest interview for Trinity NewsWant to learn more about my motivations for running in this years Seanad? Have a look at this video below.
- It’s Equality, Stupid.A discussion about the issues of care, disability and inequality in Ireland in 2016 with a performance by the Dublin Theatre of the Deaf and a mini photo exhibition by young people living with disability. When: Tonight, Tuesday, March 15th (from 6pm-8.30pm). Where: Filmbase (ground floor), Temple Bar, Dublin 2. (Best access for wheelchaire users […]
- Disable Inequality Campaign LaunchYesterday saw the launch of the Disability Federation of Ireland’s new campaign ‘Disable inequality’ http://disableinequality.ie/ Hi Everybody, I hope 2016 is good for all of us and our families and friends. As the 100th anniversary year of the 1916 Rising gets underway, it is a good time to reflect on what kind of Republic we aspire […]
- VOTE NO.1 – TRINITY PANELWhen I joined the army in 1989, the first thing I learned was: Leave no one behind. Decades later, that maxim still holds true. As a father of four, a carer, an educator, a citizen, I believe that solidarity is key to a full and equal recovery for Ireland. As active citizens, we all have […]
- Media ArticlesClick on the links below to read or listen Whistleblower who exposed rape in Defence Forces thanked 20 years on Irish Times 28/11/19 Sunday with Miriam Interview RTE Radio One Tom Clonan: ‘My whistleblower journey in the Defence Forces has ended. I am back in from the cold’ theJournal.ie Nov 28/11/2019 Tom Clonan: ‘Two years […]